Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:14:00 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Details on project status

Thus spake Antoine Beaupre (LMC) (Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca):

> noticed that there were 2 "tasks" that were unassigned and that I might
> give a hand.

Great! :-)

> I would like to get a better description at the issues at hand though:
> - What is the problem with the make(1) build?

Well, at the moment it's just a hack:

- If you ran it with NO_QT for the first time, you have to "make
  clean" the whole tree before actually a compile without this
  options works.  Same for TVision.
  So if we want to build three versions of the libs later (both,
  Qt only, TVision only) we need three steps.
  I'd prefer the following at the moment:
    - build creates a new directory as the old kernel compile did
      it: compile/{text,graphics,graphics+text} maybe.
    - all .o files are placed in this directories with a correct
      Makefile, i.e. with the NO_* options set accordingly.
    - the libs are also placed in this directory
    - both, a statically linked bin/tclh and a dynamically
      linked tclh are placed in this directory.
  Currently, I prefer this scheme because it's easier to
  develop it :-) (well, you don't have to search for the
  libs in /usr/obj if you want to test stuff w/o installing them)
  Later, I'd like to see libh use /usr/obj as every other part
  of the system, which is the most clean solution (imho).
  in /usr/obj, there will be three subdirs as well unter libh
  (text, graphics, text+graphics again .-)

  Since implementing the first method for only a temporary amount of
  time is useless, I prefer /usr/obj as a goal.  If anyone disagrees
  here, please tell me.

  Depending on the final solution how this is implemented, I want
  the NO_QT and NO_TVISION knobs be tweaks to decide if the
  text,graphics,text+graphics versions are build in /usr/obj.

- the lib/tcl subdir is not good.  It depends on the other libs
  but won't get recompiled automatically if you changed anything
  in the other directories' *.cd.cc files (actually, that are the only
  files of interest for the tcl libs).

> - What exactly are the installation scripts supposed to be? TCL/libh
> scripts to perform standard fbsd install procedures?

Yes.

> I am interested in the freebsd install process and general configuration
> structure...

see libh/release/scripts/ :)

> I personnally think that the main distribution should move to a more
> package-like system where files installed would get indexed...

I agree.

> The 250+ bin.xx files have made their time.

Since people are still doing floppy-installs, the package-like system
still has to fit into this scheme.
However, it should be no problem to split system-packages up into .xx
files and place these onto the floppies.

> - changing the make release process (eek!)

eek! :-)

> - me moving from -stable to -current on my workstation (eek! :)

I have a semi-working current again since yesterday :-)

> Anyways, I unfortunatly don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I
> could start working on this on my spare time...

Just let's make sure we don't duplicate work.

Alex