Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 14:17:26 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP-current hang problems.

Hi,

we have decided to more or less freeze development till we figure out
the "system hang" problem with the latest code.  If you have one
of the systems that hangs anywhere in the area of:

SMP: Idle procs online, starting an AP!
SMP: AP CPU #1 LAUNCHED!!  Starting Scheduling...
SMP: TADA! CPU #1 made it into the scheduler!.
SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!

we need to here from you ASAP:

 have you updated any of your -current tree (ie, the non SMP src/sys part)
  since 96-11-21?  (This is the date that SMP was merged with -current)

 what does "ls -alt /sys" show?

 try enabling the kernel debugger and see if you can get to it via
  CONTROL-ALT-ESCAPE when in the hung state.  To use the debugger add:

options		DDB

to your kernel config file.  "man ddb" for usage.

If you can get from the hung state to ddb, do a trace and/or 'ps'.

If you have another system or terminal available you could use this idea
from Peter:

- try using "options FORCE_COMCONSOLE" and use a 9600 baud serial link on
com1, if it's an interrupt problem affecting syscons, it might make sense
to try getting syscons out of the picture entirely for a test.  Also,
"options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER" is useful, you can send a break and get a DDB
prompt on the com port (with comconsole enabled).

Note: I (smp) think "options FORCE_COMCONSOLE" should be "options COMCONSOLE",
add both to be sure.

---
I'm about to change the locking on mpboot.s a little, I'll post it as soon as I
prove it works here...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD