Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:12:57 +0100
From:      bruno biondo <brunobiondo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, andreas@braml.org
Subject:   Re: Testing the new i915 driver (855GM)

Reply to a message On *Sun Oct 18 01:13:21 UTC 2*

At this time I came across with your question  while searching FreeBSD
mailing archives.
Citing what you said

[...]

Now for my test with the updated i915kms:

- kldload'ing i915kms works (well, at least it doesn't panic as it does on

[...]

I report this suggestion, substituting "radeonkms" with "i915kms":

>From https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics:
*Video driver loaded at boot time*

If you want to automatically load a video driver at boot time, we recommend
to do it from /etc/rc.conf:
kld_list=3D"radeonkms"

even work. Loading i915kms like this is known to cause a hang early in boot
with a black screen.

In the hope this will be useful to you, thanks.

bruno

------------
*On Sun Oct 18 01:13:21 UTC 2 you wrote*

Hi!

Today I tried my luck with the new i915 driver following the
instructions onhttps://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driv=
er%20to%20Linux%203.8

I updated the whole system from 10.1-RELEASE to -CURRENT about 3 weeks
ago, including a full port rebuild followed by make delete-old[-libs]. So t=
his
should
be clean enough for testing. The only basic thing I had to change was putti=
ng
hint.agp.N.disable=3D1 in /boot/loader.conf (with N either 0 or 1). Otherwi=
se I
get a panic
when agp loads. This used to work in 10.1-RELEASE. Since this machine is qu=
ite
dated,
I haven't found the strength to do a bisect to find the culprit. I decided =
better wait until
after I passed the differential equations test next month before I embark o=
that journey. :)

Now for my test with the updated i915kms:
- kldload'ing i915kms works (well, at least it doesn't panic as it does on
CURRENT head)
- trying to startx with the xorg.conf I used on 10.1 RELEASE leads to a pan=
ic

Find attached:

* dmesg output
* xorg.conf
* core.txt of the panic

If you need additional logs or want me to try something else, just ask.

Thanks for your continuous work on this, Jean-S=C3=A9bastien!

Bye,
Andreas