Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packet Construction and Protocol Testing...

   Okay, why not make it in C on the day 2 if not on the day 1 because u will still want to do that on day x.?

plus the core point about constructing dirty packets is to gain understanding of the process. i mean its very important to understand how do u form a binary stream with a set of consequent decimals and read it back in. saying
(in 1 bit octals)

324 303 262 241 002 000 004 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

may mean nothing to u, but NOT to the interface driver or whichever thing handles the socket writes (which on my opinion could be just a hook in a driver event table, but yea, i dont know what process handles the socket(2) write(2) system call) because somehow its a cut off in the manual.

"DESCRIPTION
     The socket() system call creates an endpoint for communication and
     returns a descriptor."

what to? is this a bug in freedom of information design? if not that is a good challenge and i accept it but creating tools people "do not know how" but "let me try" is like giving an icecream to a dog. dont let it lose on the carpet right?

Just thought to give u a few ideas. thats it

Nash

gnn@freebsd.org wrote: At Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:40:41 -0400,
Chuck Swiger wrote:
> This strikes me as a pretty cool thing, thank you for putting the source out
> there...given a bit of free time, I'd like to at least test this, if not
> contribute. [1] :-)

Thanks :-)

> The port is missing a dependency on net/py-pcap, BTW, which makes most of the
> tests fail if one simply downloads the shar file and tries to run them:

For now I wanted to make them separate though the documentation points
out that you can't use the PCAP connector without py-pypcap.

I  may add the dependency in a future release.

Thanks, for the patch!

> [1]: If I could only get net/py-pcap to build, I might be able to do a little
> more...  :-)

You only need net/py-pypcap, but if that's what you meant please let
me know what the build problem is.

Later,
George