Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:39:51 +0100
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to cleanly remove bind before using bind9

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 06:29:22PM -0500, stan wrote:

> I want to use bind 9 from the ports tree. I see how to prevent the bundled
> bind from being built the next time I make world, and I see how to change
> the init files et all to use the ports bind9.
>
> What I _don't_ see (and I'm certain it's just my lack of knowledge here),
> is a clean way to remove all teh traces of the existing bersion of bind
> which was built the last time I did a make world.

I have always found this to be a problem with FreeBSD: why can't sendmail,
bind and the other contributed software be made optional at install
time, so that the base system is not cluttered with old software when
we install new versions? The tight coupling of contributed software into
the base system is in my opinion not a good idea.

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org