Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 15:13:36 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

--nextPart4720874.lf9a3LYWdm

On Sunday 08 June 2008 02:03:33 pm Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> > > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> > > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> > > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> > > shutting off (for some).
> >
> > My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.=20
> > Even with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest
> > setting it only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from
> > shutting down due to heat.  (eg over 100C)
> >
> > I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...
>
> =EF=BB=BFYou can read through this thread:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D141019+0
> +/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi
>
> which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one is from
> the referenced message forward.
>
> HTH,

So in doing some more research I finally got together the nerve to disassem=
ble=20
my laptop.  After cleaning a massive amount of thermal paste off the cpu an=
d=20
heatsink it's operating around 60C after multiple make -j4 buildworlds, whe=
re=20
it used to shut down due to going over 100C.

It seems I'm not the first person to discover this was the root cause of th=
eir=20
heat and noise problems with their Lenovo T60/61 laptop.

I've also been able to turn over control of the fan back to the BIOS as=20
opposed to running it full out all the time.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB