Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2020 13:09:47 +0100
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmx.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Allow to run SSHd in Installer (12.2 patch)

Hi,

I've done some work to allow to connect to FreeBSD installer through =
SSH.
It can be useful for example if we have specific tasks to perform before =
installation, such as disks configuration etc...
Working through a SSH connection is much more convenient than in front =
of a console.
FreeBSD installer can then also be used as a rescue disk.

To achieve this, I've modified FreeBSD installer, so that after having =
installed SSHd, if performs following configuration modifications :
- generate host keys into /var/ssh (as default /etc/ssh is not writable) =
;
- only allow keys authentication ;
- allow root authentication ;
- read authorized_keys file from /var/ssh (as default homedirs are not =
writable).

SSHd can then be started thanks to the installer shell : service sshd =
start
And a public key put into for example =
/var/ssh-keys/root/authorized_keys, thanks to fetch or whatever.

Work is here :
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/pull/156
Rather simple, and ready to be merged.

This job is more than 2 years old, I would then really be glad if we =
could see this in 12.2 installation ISOs.
It would prevent me from having to modify the new ISO files to implement =
this patch.

Many thanks !

Best regards,

Ben