Date:      Sat, 19 May 2012 18:50:16 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Edgar_Fu=DF?= <ef@math.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Book on FFS

Is there a book (or other documentation) about FFS giving more details =
than the 4.4BSD bible?

I'm writing a Perl script that takes a subset of newfs's arguments, =
reads a find -ls output and computes the fragmentation/bookkeeping =
overhead for that particular data set. (The intent is to find out how =
much the newfs parameters actually matter in terms of overhead for that =
given data set.)

In the course of researching what the exact overhead for the free list, =
inodes and CG heads is, I learned (from discussions on NetBSD's =
tech-kern list and from reading ufs/ffs/fs.h and mkfs.c) various =
"interesting" things like files that need indirect blocks not being =
allocated fragments, "number of blocks" and "number of data blocks" =
(i.e. fs_size and fs_dsize) being in units of fragments, not blocks. I =
suspect there is way more for me to learn in this field.=