Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:32:24 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20010311235053.00e26140@localhost> <4.3.2.7.2.20010311230800.00e19bd0@localhost> <4.3.2.7.2.20010311193801.0441d3c0@localhost> <4.3.2.7.2.20010306122244.04477f00@localhost> <20010305200017.D80474@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010305123951.04604b20@localhost> <20010305205030.G80474@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010305125259.00cfdae0@localhost> <20010305142108.A17269@marx.marvic.chum> <4.3.2.7.2.20010306011342.045fb360@localhost> <20010306081025.A22143@marx.marvic.chum> <4.3.2.7.2.20010306092612.00b79f00@localhost> <20010306174618.N32515@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010311235053.00e26140@localhost>

At 01:05 AM 3/12/2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

>My point is that the conferred rights do *not* have to be the
>copyright system.

The rights granted by copyright are the only ones that Congress
is allowed by the Constitution to confer.

>Actually, the things copyright holders have the right to demand
>compensation for are listed in the US copyright code, chapter 1,
>section 106. "Fair use" is a list of exceptions those rights. They
>don't have the right to demand compensation for  anything not listed
>in that section, whether it's fair use or not.

There's no such thing as a "US Copyright Code." There is, however,
a section of the US Code dealing with copyright. And Congress
has a great deal of leeway in defining what goes there. It also
has the power, due to the even broader Commerce Clause, to regulate
commerce. I think that the restrictions in the DMCA suck, but it
is entirely possible that the ridiculously pro-big-business
Supreme Court will use the Commerce Clause as justification for
them. US citizens have been lax in demanding that the President's
appointments to the Supreme Court be based on traits such as clear
thinking and ethics, rather than conformance to a partisan agenda.
We may pay for that, big time, when the DMCA reaches the Supremes.

>> You don't have to release your work to the general public. You can
>> license it privately to a small number of individuals if you'd like.
>
>In which case it doesn't need to have a copyright attached at all; the
>license is more than sufficient.

That's not how copyright works. You own a copyright on any work you
create, whether or not it's published. And it's only because you
have the rights conferred by copyright that you can choose to
give some of them away as part of a licensing agreement!

>But the point of copyright is to encourage the authors to release
>their work to the general public, not to a small set of licensees.

That's your interpretation. I'd beg to differ. If it advances the
state of the art, or encourages a creative person to create more,
that's a good thing even if the whole world does NOT initially get
access to it.

>For something to be copyrightable, it must be fixed (Chapter 1,
>Section 102, paragraph a of the US Copyright code). A performance
>isn't fixed, and hence not copyrightable. Recordings of it are fixed,
>and hence copyrightable.

Not so. An author and/or a performer has the right to demand that
you not make recordings of a performance, and to take appropriate
action to protect his or her rights if you try. This right exists
BEFORE you've made any "fixation" of the work. That's why you can
be searched for recording devices at the entrance to a concert.

>"Impacting sales" is a *long* way from "causing a major economic
>dislocation". Get back to me record companies start folding because of
>it.

We don't have ubiquitous broadband yet. It could well happen when we
do.

In the meantime, however, what will happen is that the record won't
earn out its advance. The publisher will grab all the money, and
the artist will be forever in debt to the publisher. Not a good
thing.

>> >wherease the publishers mucking
>> >with fair use and related rights is threatening an entire profession.
>> Which one?
>
>Librarians. I posted a URL to the librarians take on this already.

I doubt that libraries will cease to be. I think that the worst that
will happen is that they'll pay ASCAP-style royalties to copyright
holders. As I mentioned in another message, I get royalties from
several European countries because I write a lot of magazine articles
and also some music. Those fees originate from the money deposited
into copying machines (the assumption being, of course, that copies
are being made of my articles). I don't get that much -- only a few
hundred dollars per year. But it's enough to pay for something useful
-- say, the airfare for a trip to COMDEX. Or a trip to play bass at a
bluegrass festival. Which in turn will encourage me to write more
articles and/or create more music.

>> What would you propose? Something like ASCAP? From whom would it collect
>> funds?
>
>I don't really have a good idea. Of course, it's clear from the state
>of the world that the current system isn't a good idea, either.
>Stallman proposed a tax system at one point, but it's probably not an
>improvement.

Stallman's proposal was a terrible idea: a tax whose proceeds would go
toward the creation of GPLed software. This would be a travesty.
IP created by the government, using taxpayer money, should be
available to EVERYONE -- most especially businesses which can productize
it. (Many of the high tech products we enjoy today are spinoffs from
research done by or for NASA or DARPA.) In fact, if a work is created
by government employees, the law says it can't be copyrighted at
all. This is good.

>There have been experiments with voluntary contributions,
>but I don't think those have worked very well. Possibly the concept of
>copyright can be made to work, but I suspect it will take a nearly
>complete reworking.

The fundamentals are already sound. Artists should have merchantable
and non-merchantable rights in their work, and the government should
protect those rights. Yes, there are a few logistics to be worked out.

>The real goal is to fix things so that the publishers attempts to
>enforce copyright technologically doesn't take away the publics fair
>use rights or the rights of creators who don't happen to be major
>publishers.

On the other hand, there should also be some measures to prevent
ubiquitous, high bandwidth data pipes from making it impossible
to protect those rights.

Right now, only a relatively small percentage of us have broadband
access. (I'm one of those lucky few; because I host an ISP's POP and
the hub of a community network on the LAN in my home office, I can
pump out data over a T1 line that is connected, upstream, to three
more.) But I watched the traffic statistics a few weekends ago, when
it was rumored that the plug would be pulled on Napster the following
Monday. The line had never been so completely saturated!

--Brett