Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 22:14:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Vince Kosmac" <vkosmac@voyagertec.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help with MAX sockets

<<On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:19:07 -0500, "Vince Kosmac" <vkosmac@voyagertec.com> said:

>    Does anyone know the resource requirements for a single BSD=20
> socket ?   I am tring to open 2,000 sockets on a single machine with=20
> 512meg of ram.   I can only get 648 sockets before it locks up.  I did a =

Please do not send HTML-mail.  It really irritates a lot of people,
and makes you look like a clueless newbie.

To answer your question: a TCP socket requires 448 (tcpcb) + 192
(socket) + 64 (file) = 704 bytes of kernel state for each open
socket.  Closed sockets in TIME_WAIT state require 640 bytes
(everything but the file struct).

As to why you can only get 648 sockets before ``it locks up'', I can't
help you unless you are far more specific.

-GAWollman