Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 12:08:55 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

At 01:40 AM 5/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Dennis had to
>walk into mine and say:
>
>> I dunno what it is, but we've had customers experiencing packet loss at
>> high usage on 100Mb's nets...and the problem goes away when replacing them
>> with intels. I dont know the details.
>
>Then *FIND THEM OUT*! Replacing the cards does not fix the problem! How
>is anybody supposed to be able to help you if a) you never tell anybody
>about the trouble, b) you destroy the test configuration where the problem
>occurs, thereby assuring that nobody will be able to duplicate it again,
>and c) you don't even lift a finger to investigate!

I dont want help, I recommended Intel cards, the customer  used 3coms
because "someone told them they were good cards", they had problems, and I
said "I told you so". Im just relaying the info..if I had REAL info as the
what the problem was I would have told you, but commercial sites are not
the place to be debugging problems. I have no stake in 3com cards (they are
problematic in LINUX as well)...maybe the cards are flawed? Its not my
problem.

Not that I wouldnt like to help, but when I have a company president
calling me to complain that the box is going down Im in no position to say
"stick with the 3com cards, they'll have them running soon."  Its the way
it is. You need to find beta test sights (gee, columbia might be a good
one, huh?) to do testing. Commercial sites are no place for such things.

I used to recommend DEC cards, and now the driver sucks, so I dont. I
recommend DEC or Intel in LINUX, because they work best. I dont care what
they use, and Im not concerned about the 35 drivers that have problems
under load. I cant be. I dont have time, and what's the difference? All
cards  have the same functionality.

>This is ridiculous! People ask me to fix stuff, they expect the world!
>You ask them what's going on, they don't know the details! That's just
>wonderful! You know, I should use that myself! "Hey Bill: my network
>crashed." "Well, there's probably something you could do to fix that
>but I don't know the details." Yes! I like it! Instead of trying to help
>people, I'll be maddeningly vague! I'll pretend to be helpful but stop
>short of actually providing any useful information! Then everyone else
>will go insane instead of me, society will collapse, and I can take over
>the world while everyone's distracted!
>
>You know if they ever find a way to harness sarcasm as an energy source,
>you people are all going to owe me big.

hey, you want to be famous, you gotta take some punches. When my drivers
have bugs, I take it on the chin. Part of the developer experience.  :-)

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/T3/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Manager

http://www.etinc.com/bwmgr.htm