Date:      30 Nov 2002 20:44:57 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        Koh Kok Peng <kkokpeng@dso.org.sg>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: enlightenment

--=-PH+qm/4+T4P5aqO+YbGd

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 18:12, Koh Kok Peng wrote:

> It seems to me that with FreeBSD, I could make an Intel m/c running penti=
um
> II to be as powerful as the state of the art pentium m/c running the late=
st
> version of Windows. Is that true??

Heh.. I thought it was a question on Enlightenment window manager. :)

Lets make the definition of powerful as:

"What I can do with my computer and how much I can do with it".

And throw away marketing words like "state of the art" and define it as:

"PC with the latest and greatest" ie. 8-way Xeon, 4gigs of memory,
Geforce4 and what not :).

Then you have to combine both to see whether or not it can be as
powerful (as in the things you want to do with it) running FreeBSD on an
older Pentium II as say, a Pentium 4 running WinXP.

As a server:
FreeBSD will be more powerful than XP :) Why? XP has a lot of server
functions taken out, whereas FreeBSD can run any server service you want
(except maybe Active Directory) without any restrictions.=20

Without a GUI (no X, no Gnome/KDE), it can also perform on lesser
hardware better than one needed for Win2K.

In this sense, yes FreeBSD will be more powerful (in terms of
fuctionality than a Windows XP machine.=20

For the desktop and games, like I said before, it depends on how you use
it. A Pentium4 is gonna compile a heck of a lot quicker than a PII even
with all the overhead of Windows. Same goes with most games and other
CPU intensive programs.

As a platform for development, FreeBSD comes with all the tools you need
for development for FREE. Windows XP doesn't. To me FreeBSD + all the
Unix/GNU development tools make it a much more powerful development
computer than Windows XP.

Need an IDE? Freebsd -> Emacs, VIM, Anjuta etc. WinXP-> Notepad?
Need a compiler? FreeBSD -> gcc and others. WinXP-> none.
Need a source control? FreeBSD->CVS WinXP-> none.

And so on. You can buy all the stuff for Windows, but you could upgrade
the FreeBSD P-II to an 2 way SMP-P4 for all the money you pay on the
licences need to get WinXP to be able to match all the powerful
development tools you get with FreeBSD for free.

As a person, who recently shifted from doing development on WinXP to
FreeBSD, I felt that XP limited me in a lot of ways (especially
financially). Whereas with FreeBSD + open source tools, it seems that
anything can be done, given enough time.=20

--=20
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>

--=-PH+qm/4+T4P5aqO+YbGd

--=-PH+qm/4+T4P5aqO+YbGd--