Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:16:54 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Building kernel without making .depend

> If I just change something in one source file, which doesn't change the
> dependencies, is it possible to just compile that file, not remaing
> .depends?
>
> /usr/src # make -DNOCLEAN kernel KERNCONF=MYCONFIG
>
> helps avoiding recompiling the entire kernel, but I'd like also avoiding
> redoing .depends

I commonly change into the kernel build directory
(/usr/src/sys/compile/MYCONFIG) and issue a 'make' from there.  This will
pick up any changes that were made to dependent files, but won't redo the
depends.

> Is it also possible to avoid doing anything in modules?

Yes, specify NO_MODULES=yes on the make command line, or add it to
/etc/make.conf.

--
Matt Emmerton