Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:39:25 +0100
From:      John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD Installation Set

Drew Donmoyer wrote:
>Greetings.
>As a newbie to FreeBSD I have a few questions.
You've come to the right place though plain text wrapped ~75 preferred ;)

>I understand that installation may be done by preparing floppy installs
>that will use the ftp site directly.
Yes; it worked for me quite intuitively, though it was through a =
previously
set up FreeBSD-3.2 LAN.

>I am better equipped to do the install from the installation CDs but am
>unable to get them immediately.
You have to equate your online speed/charge against your patience.  It
wasn't a difficult choice for me as I have an un-metered product in the =
uk!

>Can I make my own Installation CD Set by downloading from your ftp site?
>Exactly how do I do this?
You could go for the entire .iso of the recently released and =
exceptionally
good FreeBSD-4.1, but it's probably 650Mbyte or so.

Or recreate the contents of /bin to a CDRom or DOS filesystem and install
from there. (You'll need the two floppies though and I personally haven't
tried the DOS method)

Or you could just rawrite the two floppies and install from your nearest/
quickest ftp mirror. http://www.uk.freebsd.org/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

You could even fit the files from /bin onto floppies and do it the really
hard way.  =
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/bin/

>Will this be identical to the CD Install Set you sell?
The disks you buy would hopefully be distributed by =
WalnutCreek/CDRom.com/
BSDi but distributions vary.  I don't know if the downloadable .iso would
boot the same as the 'proper' CD distro.

HTH
John.