Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:03:27 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Vladimir Savichev <vlad@ariel.phys.wesleyan.edu>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.freesoftware.com: is it alive ?

> > > my impression is ftp.freesoftware.com responds never and it is
> > > Number 1 (?) in  ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEWARE}. If it is so shouldn't
> > > we shuffle the list ?

ftp.freesoftware.com has had known problems for the past several months.
It is those problems, IIRC, which necessitated moving ftp.FreeBSD.org
to another site.  Yes, the address that ftp.freesoftware.com resolves
to responds to pings, but it refuses any and all connections.

I've just committed a change to bsd.sites.mk, which moves ftp.freesofware.com
to the bottom of all site lists it is in.  (Well, strictly speaking,
it's not at the bottom of MASTER_SITE_PERL_CPAN and MASTER_SITE_TEX_CTAN,
but close enough..)

G'luck,
Peter

--
What would this sentence be like if it weren't self-referential?