Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 18:36:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot code

>From /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c:

	/*
	 * Be paranoid and make doubly sure that the input buffer is empty.
	 */
	if (loadflags & (RB_DUAL | RB_SERIAL))
		init_serial();

Is this worth the bytes?  (The only thing that would have frobbed
loadflags at this point is getbootdev, and it calls init_serial() if
it sets either flag.  This is what I see, but more eyes checking me
would be welcome.)

Are we even concerned about saving bytes in boot2, or is that no
longer a concern?  While I'm at it, the stack is reset when the kernel
is loaded, so I don't need to worry about adding variables to boot(),
do I?

While I'm at it, I'm adding code to allow all flags to be specified in
boot.config.  The idea is that if flags are specified from the
keyboard, they override everything (except RB_SERIAL, RB_DUAL, and
RB_PROBEKBD) from boot.config.  Anybody have a problem with this?

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan