Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 19:10:34 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        imp@rover.village.org
Cc:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT Advisory CA-97.22 - BIND - the Berkeley Internet Name Daemon

> : This has been discussed on BUGTRAQ over the last 3-4 months.  We now have a
> : CERT advisory discussing this.
> :
> : When will BIND-8.1.1 be available in the 2.2 branch?
>
> 8.1.1 isn't even in the -current branch yet, so one could conjecture
> that it will be a while.  Bind 4.9.6 and Bind 8.1.1 have incompatible
> boot file formats, so adding 8.1.1 into the 2.2 branch, or even the
> -current banch, is complicated by compatibility concerns.
>
> 8.1.1 builds out of the box on a FreeBSD system.  There have been
> efforts made to make it a port so it is even easier.

Also, note that according to Paul Vixie there is no real reason to upgrade
to 8.1.1 because of the problems mentioned in this CERT advisory - 4.9.6
is fine.

From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
To: cert-advisory-request@cert.org
Cc: bind-workers@vix.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:06:46 -0700

I am still not happy with this text.  People who just want to fix this
problem should feel free to upgrade to 4.9.6, without touching 8.1.1 at all.