Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 1999 17:36:53 -0800
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with L4 Switch

My ISP recently put up a squid (2.1, according to the messages I get
now), and they're using a
Foundry level-4 switch to divert all HTTP traffic to it.  Problem is,
apparently FreeBSD (and Linux) tickle a bug in the switch:  I see the
three-way
handshake between me and the remote system, then the initial GET and its
ACK, then absolutely *nothing* gets back to me until I terminate (and
then all I see is the FIN and its ACK).  The only site this doesn't
happen with is, by some strange coincidence, the ISP's own website,
which is on *this* side of the switch.

Now I've got a strange mix of machines here (a FreeBSD box, a 3-node
VAXcluster, several Linux boxes, a couple of OS/2 nodes, and a couple of
PDP-11's :-)), and I *think* I see a pattern:  The machines running a
BSD derived stack (the Linux boxes, the FreeBSD box, and one of the OS/2
systems) are all having the problem (HTTP packets
tossed by the switch), the other systems are not.
I was told by an acquaintance who works for the ISP that apparently a
few NT systems have the problem, also.  SO...questions:  Anyone else out
there seen something like this, is there a fix (other than getting the
ISP to throw out the switch, which has about as much chance as the
proverbial nitrocellulose dog in hell), or at least a workaround?

    Thanks in advance.

    Dann Lunsford