Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:22:26 -0400
From:      dfolkins <dfolkins@comcast.net>
To:        "Janine C.Buorditez" <johann@broadpark.no>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user.mydomain.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janine C.Buorditez" <johann@broadpark.no>
To: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 8:44 AM
Subject: user.mydomain.com

> how is this created when adding a new user?
>
> are there any adduser scripts out there doing this automaticly as well as
> .htdocs instead of enteruser's public_html?

hm, if you want to set up things like user.mydomain.com, my bet is you are
going to have to involve your dns server for that.  without an appropriate
entry in a dns server, that domain name just isnt going to resolve to an ip.

now, once you have the right dns stuff set up, i think the best way to point
it to the user's web directory is through <virtualhost> directives in apache
config.

for the virtualhost setup the best documentation source is apache.org
itself.
as to setting up dns, start with "man named", and you can probably find
plenty of howtos online about how to set up dns.
--
dfolkins