Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 17:38:30 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNBELIEVABLY stupid question....

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:13:02 +0000  j mckitrick wrote:
 +------------------

 | I thought there would be a simple man entry to explain, but if there is, I
 | missed it.
 |
 | How do I go from daylight savings time to eastern standard?  Sysinstall
 | doesn't appear to offer the option.  I tried 'date' subtracting an  hour,
 | but I ntpdate'd since then, and now I'm back to daylight savings.
 |
 | jcm
 | --
 +------------------

If you've selected /etc/localtime correctly then the system will
take care of daylight savings time for you.  You can also use the
TZ environment variable so that the date(1) displays what you
expect. to do this for you too.  Look at the manual page for zic.
Also look in /usr/share/zoneinfo.  There is also some interesting
feedback between the way MSwindows mucks about with the cmos clock
and what FreeBSD expects to find there.  Look at adjkerntz(8) for
more info

good luck

--
    Chris Fedde