Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:47:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: panic: pmap_zero_page: CMAP busy

Bruce Evans writes:

> >The panic is caused by the difference between these two lines in
> >the config:
>
> >>From GENERIC (works):
> >> config		kernel	root on wd0 swap on wd0 and wd1 and wd2 and vn0 dumps on wd0
>
> >>From DESMOND (panics):
> >> config		kernel	root on wd0 swap on wd0 dumps on wd0
>
> Maybe this has something to do with the bogus test for the end of
> swdevt[] in i386/autoconf.c.  The array is terminated by device NODEV
> but device 0 is tested for (the test for > 0 degenerates to == 0
> because dev_t is unsigned).  Apparently there are usually 0's sufficiently
> close to the end of swdevt[] for there to be no problems.

This is not reproducible.

The scarey thing is it persisted through two full kernel builds,
including the directory removal.  The building was done on my
production system so it isn't anything quirky about the new system.
It went away when I reverted to GENERIC and stayed away as
I slowly moved it back to the original reduced config.

I stupidly didn't save the original config, but I'm 90% sure I now
have the exact same reduced configuration I originally did and I'm
not getting any problems.

Now if I can figure out why it can't find the BOCA BB1008 multiport
serial card at 0x100 - 0x138 IRQ12 ...

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936