Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:58:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   (fwd) login problems, please help

-- forwarded message --
From: "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: login problems, please help
Date: 20 Aug 1999 09:56:14 GMT

I have still problems with the configuration of logins on our FBSD box and it seems
really confusing to me.

Problem occured while creating a new group, moving a bunch of
users into that group, changing via "vipw" gid in passwd-field,
try to type "login username" on console or via telnet - gettting
an error: Login incorrect occurs immediately after typing the
loginname. Well, I thought this could be a problem with /etc/login.conf
(this hint came from a helpful admin from Ontario). I suspended my
own created file and used the original one I found in /usr/src/etc
and added all the classes I created on my own to default (that should
help). But this had no effect! Leaving the class-field empty did nothing.
The only thing that works seems to delete the password - but this is a
strange behaviour, accounts without password?
My encryption system is the FBSD standard MD5, all libs are linked against
libscryptxx.xxx, not against DES!
I checked the group file - and I think many problems are realted to that!
As I could read in the manpages, each user is in one primary group, and this
primary group is identified by the group ID in passwd. So, if root is in group 0,
I can leave wheel:*:0: empty? In manpage it is described like this, but the
default group file has wheel:*:0:root as example. So: The users I put into another
group are all in only one group! The GID has been changed by using vipw in
passwd  file. But nothing happened, they could not log in, they couldn't
telnet to the server (as they could before!).

My questions are a little bit confusing, think so, please let me begin with the
libs:

Where to find dedicated instructions and descriptions how PAM works and
is used in FBSD (OS without description of how to authenticate by a used module
is a pitty one!)? Has pam anything to do with login? How is it involved, especially
when login by login command (checking passwd field???)?

Another uncommended file is auth.conf. Where is sufficient information how
auth.conf involves login?

What kind of role playes login.conf when autheticating users/groups and by what
tag is that involved?

Well, what does it mean deleting password an getting loged in? I checked against other
well playing accounts and login.access, but if there is an error, I get a password
request and after that I get the message of a refused login. Checking the logging
tells only that a LOGIN FAILURE ... REFUSED: username has occured, not more.

Thanks in advance,
O. Hartmann

--
Gruss O. Hartmann
ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de

Klimadatenserver des IPA, Universitaet Mainz
-- end of forwarded message --

--
Gruss O. Hartmann