Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 08:19:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange entries in /usr/src/Makefile

>  * Maybe I should have been more stuborn about adding them in the
>  * first place :-).
>
> I wish you were. :)
>
>  * :-).  I suggest you read the pmake tutorial in the 4.4BSD man set,
>  * also as /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/* on your FreeBSD 2.x system.
>  * It doesn't cover .mk files per se, but it does cover a lot of
>  * ground.
>
> Thanks.  Well, I managed to "merge" all the skeleton targets into one,
> the result is now sitting on thud and will go out to the "ports" list
> for testing shortly.  This change reduced 100 lines from bsd.port.mk.
> (Yeah I know, not much but it's a start. ;)

100 lines is 100 lines!!  Thats almost 9% by my count!

>  * You need a 1.x cvs tree, we can't have a 1.x cvs tree on Freefall legally,
>  * and I am not suppose to have one here myself :-(.
>
> Oh, is that so?  I thought the agreement was to stop distributing the
> source, I didn't know that it included just having them....

First parties to the agreement agreed to ``Stop all use of'' Net/2 derived
code.   Reading it is a ``use''.  This does not effect 2nd parties like
you, but since freefall does sit on WC property it is probably best that
the bits are not on there any longer.

>  * > But that doesn't mean we should try to keep them separated as much as
>  * > possible.
>  *
>  * That may not mean it, but I am pretty sure the standing idea here is
>  * that ports should not contaminate /usr/src with port specific changes.
>
> Ayyyyy sorry, I meant to type "that does't mean we shouldn't try".  We
> are in agreement here. ;)                          ^^^^^^^^^

:-)  Mean what you say, argghhh.. I mean, say what you mean :-):-)

>  * > Where can I find the old mail archives?
>  *
>  * /home/mail/archive on freefall.
>
> I already looked there, they don't have mails older than a few months.
> That's why I asked for "old" mail archives. :)

Did you look at the list.`date`.gz files??  I see dates on the compressed
versions going back into 1994 for the commit logs, but your right, the
hackers list only goes back 1 archive.  Did someone trash the mail???