Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Ritger <ARitger@nvidia.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        'Daniel Eischen' <eischen@pcnet.com>
Subject:   RE: NVIDIA and TLS

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Gareth Hughes wrote:
>
> > Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >

> [a lot of stuff]
>
> Gareth, thanks for puting up with us and showing considerable patience.

And thanks for putting up with Gareth ;)

> I think we can make an 'efficient (though possibly not quite the 1
> instruction possible in a static linked linux binary) __thread
> implimentation.

Sure.

> We can possibly do 1 instruction in the 1:1 library but that would leave
> binary compatibility with the other libraries out the window.

I'll try to keep on eye on the technical discussion (looks like it
moved to current@freebsd.org), but please keep us in the loop.

For the short term, I'll probably leave the NVIDIA libGL as is
(hijacking %gs), and document it as such in our README.  Once the
TLS decisions are worked out on FreeBSD, we'll propogate the
appropriate changes to the NVIDIA OpenGL driver.

Thanks,
- Andy