Date:      15 Jan 2003 21:22:35 -0400
From:      Mike Burke <vatnor@snowball.darktech.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   AWE synth in STABLE possible?

Good day,

Is it possible to use the SB AWE32/64 synth in -STABLE now? Using newpcm
gives me DSP capabilities, but I'd like to use the soundfont ability of
the card.

I am using 4.7-STABLE cvsupped over the weekend. My kernel configuration
as it applies to sound currently is:

============
options         PNPBIOS   # maybe unnecessary / not relevant
device snd
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
============

When I booted this kernel, I got:

============
sb_reset_dsp failed
sb_reset_dsp failed
awe0 at port 0x620 on isa0
AWE32: not detected
awe0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources
============

...and no DSP support. However, I tried   kldload snd_pcm ; kldload
snd_sbc   to see what would happen, and was given:

============
sb0 at port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sb0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
sbxvi0 at port 0xffffffff drq 5 on isa0
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
WARNING: "snd" is usurping "snd"'s cdevsw[]
sbxvi0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
sbmidi0 at port 0x330 on isa0
snd0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
WARNING: "snd" is usurping "snd"'s cdevsw[]
sbmidi0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
unknown: <Audio> can't assign resources
============

I still don't have DSP, however:

============
sb_reset_dsp failed
SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd0) timeout. IRQ conflict ?
// previous line repeated with several other Commands

The only remotely relevant info I could find pertained to 3.x and also
made reference to kernel config controller pnp0 and executing 'pnp ..'
lines in config, neither of which I could seem to do under STABLE
(replacing controller pnp0 with device pnp0).

Is this worth pursuing? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike B.