Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:27:36 -0500
From:      "O'Gorman, James" <jogorman@worldmediaco.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Vinum/Disklabel problems

I am trying to make a stiped set in Vinum, and I am too the point where I
need to change the file system type for the partitions. da5 is my boot
volume, I am striping together da0-da4, da6-da8 all in one stripe.

I was able to do a disklabel -e da0 and change the filesystem type on
da0-da3 with no problems at all. But then when I get to da4 on up, I do the
disklabel -e da4 and got a odd looking file:

# /dev/rda4:
type: SCSI
disk: QUANTUM
label: ATLAS IV 18 WLS
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 4
tracks/cylinder: 22
sectors/cylinder: 88
cylinders: 407786
sectors/unit: 35885168
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 35885168        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
407785)

Where my partitions are not listed at all. For ref here is da0:

# /dev/rda0c:
type: SCSI
disk: da0s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 53
tracks/cylinder: 191
sectors/cylinder: 10123
cylinders: 3544
sectors/unit: 35885168
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 35885168        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
3544*)
  e: 35885168        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 -
3544*)

When I go to quit out of disklabel -e da4 it gives me:
isklabel: Operation not supported by device
re-edit the label? [y]:

I used /stand/sysinstall to fdisk and label all the disks. uname -a gives
me:
FreeBSD computer.somewhere.com 3.3-RC FreeBSD 3.3-RC #1: Thu Sep  9 18:40:42
CDT 1999

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Or what I might do to fix the
problem?

Thanks
Jim