Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:17:33 +0200
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recipe for creating bootable cd?

As Cory Kempf wrote:

> than 100% successful at... So, sometime between now and the next time
> I hose my system, I would like to have a CD that will boot on my
> machine... which needs CAM.

Well, you need to create a new installation image for this, probably.
That's at least the standard way.  Previously, this required that you
run `make release', albeit i believe it should now be possible to
create just the bootfloppy only using the stuff under
/usr/src/release/floppies.

An alternate way would be to create a complete filesystem, and a CD
bootstrap.  However, during my work on cdboot (/sys/i386/boot/cdboot),
i found that only very few vendors and sometimes even controller BIOS
revisions actually implement the El Torito specs good enough, so you
might have to see first whether your controller can really boot such a
CD at all.  (The normal bootable CD stuff only emulates a floppy
image, but advanced functions like accessing the CD-ROM using BIOS
functions is not tested by this.)  If you want to follow this line,
you're going to make some experiments...  Also, you need some modified
startup scripts, with an MFS /var (and a symlink for /tmp).  I have
been successful in producing such a CD once, but: YMMV.

--
cheers, J"org