Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:29:08 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Will we get a RELEASE-9.1 for Christmas?

On 10 December 2012 09:34, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net> wrote:

> I've thought about donating manpower; tried to many years ago, in fact.
> But I was deterred by the egos, the politics, and the territoriality and
> hotheadedness of some of the developers. So, most of my contributions
> of code (and I have made quite a few) have been passed quietly through
> committers so as to avoid this. Maybe the situation is better now; I don't
> know.

There's politics in every organisation. There are ego clashes in every
organisation. Sometimes you'll fit in, sometimes you won't. If you
feel there are issues, find people inside the community who you do get
along well with and talk with them about it.

It sucks, yes. I'm one of those "shut up and code already" types and I
deal badly with politics. But somehow I have a commit bit and get away
with breaking things. :-)

> As for monetary donations: We are not a large corporation, and so could only
> make relatively small ones as opposed to more valuable "in kind" donations.

Even a $5k a year donation from 25 organisations is a significant
chunk of money to the foundation. Please don't believe that you can't
have a positive effect from a small donation. the foundation will
definitely benefit from any and all contributions, no matter how
small.

I'd rather see the Foundation funded from thousands of small donations
a year than a handful of big ones.

Adrian