Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      hoek@freebsd.org
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/6612

The following reply was made to PR misc/6612; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: hoek@freebsd.org
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, sjr@home.net
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:12:04 -0400 (EDT)

 >        bsd.man.mk can't handle man pages with ":"s, since it uses
 >        the ":T:S" constructs to extract elements.

 No, that's not actually the reason.

 The reason is because of loops such as this,

 .for x in ${page}
 $x: dependsonwhatever
 	create the $x file
 .endfor

 make(1) gets confused because ${page} is something like "a::b" and thinks
 that "a" is the target with sources "b" and "dependsonwhatever".

 Note that bsd.man.mk will work for the specific case where NOMANCOMPRESS
 is defined, MANBUILDCAT is not defined, and MANFILTER is not defined.

 It is broken for all other permutations of those settings.

 The bsd.man.mk is an example of evolutionary design by committee.  Fixing
 it requires some rewriting...

 Alternatively, make(1) itself could be modified to allow escape
 characters in target specifications.  I would not be opposed to this
 type of modification to make(1) and it would be very trivial (see the
 function src/usr.bin/make/parse.c::ParseDoDependency().