Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 00:16:54 +0200
From:      Dirk Gouders <gouders@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86 3.3.6 and ATI Rage 128

Hi,

I just solved some problem on my FreeBSD 4.0 machine and want to tell
you about it, in case someone else has problems running XFree86 with a
ATI Rage 128 video card (and I know there were such people).

The problem was that there was a bug in the r128_accel driver that
caused bar code like stuff to appear instead of readable text.

(I tried to use XFree86 4.0 instead, but then after switching to a
 text console and back to the console running X I couldn't see
 anything at all.)

What I then did was to get the full XFree86 3.3.6 source code and the
patch for the r128_accel driver, applied the patch as discribed in the
diff-file and ran make World without any modification of even one
configuration file.  After that everything turned out to work fine!

I would be happy to learn if I could have done this with less effort
and I am wondering if there isn't a way to replace the erroneous
r128_accel driver on the FreeBSD site by the fixed one.

Dirk