Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 00:55:26 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network scan? (no FreeBSD content)

> > > In this particular case, it's a site in China.  They have a heavily
> > > censored internet gateway, and I see lots of probes from china (and other
> > > areas in Asia that have enforced proxy use and heavily censored feeds)
> > > looking for *:1080 (socks), *:3128 (squid) and *:8080 (squid and/or other
> > > proxies including netscape).  They are scanning for relays to bounce
> > > connections off to bypass the censored feed.
> > >
> > Just to make sure I'm getting this right - you're saying China
> > has a censored internet gateway (i.e. blocking *something* [what
> > exactly ?] ), but they do allow connections to ports 1080, 3128
> > and 8080 ?
>
> They block access to sites, not to ports.  In particular, sites that
> carry capitalist misinformation, or what we in the free world call
> "news."

As someone in the business of running a political news website, I find most of it fits the description of 'capitalist misinformation' rather well.  The difference if there is one is that dissenting voices exist as well, and are not punished, though their material is greatly outnumbered.  The rich pay for lots of highly skilled people to say what the rich want people to hear.

The idea that news is written by journalists is mostly a myth.  Journalists mostly reprocess news from press releases written by Public Relations firms, spin doctors and pressure groups.  What they do write is tempered by the need to keep on the  right side of the people who provide the bulk of the news they sell.

Blocking access by site seems like it would mean that accessible information would come mostly from the masses of smaller sites, and probably be much more balanced overall.  The strength of the net has always been in its broad base, and not in a few big sites (possibly excepting the search engines).

Andrew McNaughton

PS.  A bit off topic really.  Sorry.