Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:21:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        batie@aahz.jf.intel.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vic & 24-bit

 * OK, now I've got X setup on this thing, 3.3 w/4Meg Millenium, and figured
 * out how to get the thing into 24-bit mode so I don't go blind from color
 * flash, and lo!  The vic-bktr I downloaded from rah.star-gate that worked
 * great in 256 color mode, has gotten itself thricely confused.  The b&w
 * static has a hit of the image in triplicate (the window is divided into
 * 3 side-by-side vertical bands that appear to be repeated).  Nothing seems
 * to like the output of my xwd (XFree86 3.3 on FreeBSD 2.2.2), so I can't
 * get a snapshot of it...

Not sure if it is related, but the XFree86's Matrox driver is known to
have bugs in 24bpp mode.  Have you tried 16bpp?  (Or 32bpp, which also
works great, but with 4MB you can't run it with more than
1152x900....)

Satoshi