Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 09:32:30 -0400
From:      "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Chris Phillips" <chris@selkie.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SMP

> "PIII/Xeon" means "Pentium-III Xeon processor", not "PIII or Xeon
> processors".

Gotcha.

> > As far as the database using all 4 processors, any threaded program
*could*
> > use them, couldn't they?
>
> Not unless it's designed to do so.  I don't believe that Postgres is/does.

Yes, it is and it does (see Alfred's post).

> Buy something smaller.  Benchmark your application, and determine what
> your performance requirements are.  Make appropriate purchasing decisions
> based on quantifiable results.

Well, we have done this, we are upgrading, not starting from scratch.

A dual system would work great, however I need a 64-Bit PCI slot to hold
this Ultra 160 SCSI controller *and* I'd like to avoid spending $2500 in
RDRAM to get what we already have in SDRAM :-)

It's impossible, from what I've read to get exactly what I'm looking for..
It seems I'm going to have to put up with my drives running at half speed,
or invest a lot more money in RAM.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.