Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:57:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        alla@sovlink.ru, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog alternatives?

In some mail from Robert Watson, sie said:
[...]
> Or even less interesting:
>
> What happens to log records being sent over the network to a host that is
> in the process of rebooting?
>
> Or:
>
> What happens to network logging if you send an ICMP connection refused to
> the client syslog host?

Or what happens to log messages sent whilst it is sync'ing data to disk
with fsync() ?  Think /dev/klog as well as UDP here!

> Clearly syslogd leaves much to be desired.

Yes.  The current syslogd shipped with Solaris is actually very good for
what it can do in avoiding losing messages.

> However, it works fairly well if configured carefully.

For some broad defniition of "well".

> There have been discussions of alternatives, and
> I think someone claimed to have written a secure syslog at one point; I
> don't have a reference for it.  I believe Schneier coauthored a paper on
> some of the cryptographic issues, also.

Not co-authored, authored.  He has also applied for patents on the ideas
therein, so wait and see there.

Darren