Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 19:55:07 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm!  New error encountered with cpio while building root.flp

>cpio: stand/date not dumped: minor number would be truncated
>cpio: stand/dd not dumped: minor number would be truncated

>And so on.  It results in a root.flp image that's only 512 bytes long.. :-(

>Building the root.flp in /usr/src/release/Makefile *used* to work, but

cpio (and tar) now check for minor numbers that would be truncated.  pax
now uses the correct macro for minor() so its existing check works.  The
check is only done for st_rdev, not for st_dev.  st_rdev is meaningless
for regular files.  Unfortunately, st_rdev is apparently a garbage value
for regular files, and cpio apparently attempts to copy it.  I'm not
sure what tar does.  pax zeros it except for special files, at least for
tar format.

You should be using a cpio format that preserves all minor numbers,
e.g., `cpio -H newc'.

Bruce