Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 03:08:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), freebsd-security@freebsd.org, newton@cleese.apana.org.au
Subject:   Re: SYN flood attack thoughts

Mike Smith wrote...
: Mark Newton stands accused of saying:
: > Nathan Lawson wrote:
: >
: >  > I have not tested this hybrid algorithm yet, but would appreciate input.
: >
: > Input, eh?  Would a few million SYNs do? :-)

: It's amusing that while all this pissing and moaning was going on, John
: Capo did the testing required to actually prove or disprove the various
: theories, and someone (PST?) committed the results.

 The commitlogs say it all. IMHO with the sysctl changes added (and
 bought into the -stable tree) and the listendrop stats all these changes
 should provide enuff starting ammo for the sysadmin under attack.  I
 guess time will tell :)

pst         96/09/20 14:25:23

  Modified:    sys/netinet  tcp_input.c
  Log:
  If the incomplete listen queue for a given socket is full,
  drop the oldest entry in the queue.

  There was a fair bit of discussion as to whether or not the
  proper action is to drop a random entry in the queue.  It's
  my conclusion that a random drop is better than a head drop,
  however profiling this section of code (done by John Capo)
  shows that a head-drop results in a significant performance
  increase.

  There are scenarios where a random drop is more appropriate.
  If I find one in reality, I'll add the random drop code under
  a conditional.

  Obtained from: discussions and code done by Vernon Schryver (vjs@sgi.com).

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.49      +18 -5     src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key