Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:00:49 -0500
From:      Stephen Derdau <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Juan Carlos Ocasio <ocasio@utep.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Road runner ISP

Juan Carlos Ocasio wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>               I have recently downloaded all the files neccessary to
> install Freebsd on a pentium 200mmx. I plan on using it as a firewall

Man if your 200mmx is a firewall whats the rest of your
system look like :-)

I hook up using isc-dhcp2
and I use natd for my internal network
If you get isc-dhcp2 working the natd stuff is so your
internal network can also use the same connection.

I also have 2 ethernet cards on my system that is connected
via cable modem.  Not to roderunner but to mediaone.

It works nicely so far for me. I know you can run
more than one machine over the same connection.
I believe you'll want to make sure you have 2 ethernet
cards on the server that is connected.

Check out this link it should help you out !
http://www.FreeBSDDiary.com

> and sever for my home network.  I am new to Unix/Linux, although I do
> have some basic knowledge of Linux and I am currently learning.  I still
> have the  the question about accessing my  ISP.   To use Road Runner you
> muct enable DCHP on the machine that you are using to login to Road
> Runner.  Also the login sofware is for windows 3.1-windows nt.  I know
> that you can use wine to emulate a windows program, but are there any
> special configurations that you could suggest in order for it to work
> properly.  Also how do I enable freebsd to get an IP from Road Runner.
> And I beleive I will have to run IPX and Netbeu protocols for my other
> two computers.  I realize that these are alot of questions, but I would
> appreciate if you could send some answers my way.  I was going to use NT
> server, but after reading about Linux and Freebsd I decided to go this
> route....
> Once again thank you for your attention...
> Att.
> Juan Carlos Ocasio
> jocasio1@elp.rr.com

*** LET ME HAVE THE WISDOM TO ADMIT WHEN I'M WRONG ***
http://www.freebsd.org/search
http://www.fsf.org