Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 97 13:39:26 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/x11/XFree86 and Tcl/Tk detection

 > Jean-Marc,

 > I see that you've done a lot of work on the configure script for XFree86;
 > thanks!  I am having a problem with Tk detection now that I've expunged
 > the base system Tcl and installed the new ports flavors of Tcl/Tk.

 > ports/x11/XFree86/scripts/configure notices my /usr/local/lib/libtk42.a,
 > but still operates under the old Tcl/Tk assumptions that result in
 > incorrect values for Tcl/Tk in work/xc/config/cf/site.def.

This is in xf86site.def.

 > I am wondering if it might be time to move away from an auto-detection
 > scheme and perhaps support something conceptually like this in the top
 > level Makefile:

 > 	# Uncomment to build XF86Setup
 > 	# CONFIGURE_ARGS= --with-tcl-config=/usr/local/lib/tcl{n} \
 > 	#                --with-tk-config=/usr/local/lib/tk{n}

 > [where {n} is the most recent known-compatible Tcl/Tk for XF86Setup]

 > What do you think?

I agree that the current setup is (slightly) bogus after al the tcl/tk
changes but it is still possible to have a correct autodetection
sheme. Compiling XF86Setup with version X or Y of tk is not very
important as long as it works. I think that XF86Setup, when compiled
for tk4.1 or tk4.2 can use the tcl shared lib in /usr/lib. The problem
is if we want to use XF86Setup with tk8.0: we ten must use the static
tcl8.0 library.
I am for keeping and improving the autodetection scheme and using your
config args to override the autodetection and force the use of a
particular tcl/tk version. Then XF86Setup will be built even if you
don't set CONFIGURE_ARGS.

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr