Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:56:23 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Bart Matthaei <bart@xs4nobody.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPfw and DHCP

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:42:03PM +0200, Bart Matthaei wrote:
> Run dhclient before you load the firewall rules..
>
> and use recv and via <if> instead of ip adresses :)

recv and via <if> do not provide the security that an IP address
provides.  In particular, both 'recv' and 'via <if>' fail to protect
against the following case:

NIC 1	xl0	192.168.0.13		RFC1918 LAN
NIC 2	xl1	128.128.128.128		public

ipfw add allow any recv via xl1

This would let a packet with a destination address of 192.168.0.13
via your public interface.  And believe me, the chances of such a
packet appearing on the wire are not so slim these days :)

A better solution would be to have dhclient run *after* the initial
firewall setup (after the firewall rulesets are flushed), and
define hooks for obtaining/renewing/expiring a lease, which add or
remove firewall rules as appropriate.  Unfortunately, I've never done
DHCP hooks, and I have no idea on how exactly to provide those.
(Maybe it's as simple as putting something similar to /sbin/dhclient-script
into /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks?)

G'luck,
Peter

--