Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:51:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, justin@mac.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wake up on lan driver support

Darryl Okahata wrote:

> > >      WOL only requires a few things of the machine to be woken up:
> > >
> > > 1. The motherboard must support WOL.
> > >
> > > 2. The LAN card must support WOL.
> > >
> > > 3. You must have connected the special WOL cable between the LAN card
> > >    and the motherboard.
> > >
> > > 4. You must have enabled WOL on the motherboard.
> >
> > 5. You must have a power supply that supplies sufficient power on the
> > standby power rail to satisfy the needs of the lan card. Not all PSUs
> > seem to do that.
>
>      Yes, definitely (thanks for the addition!).  Many older power
> supplies cannot supply enough current on the +5VSB rail to support WOL.

6. The LAN card driver must support waking up of the card and/or the
   LAN card driver must not disable waking up of the card.

I have some experience with an fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> LAN
card under current: this card has some on-board firmware, press CTRL-S on
bootup and configure the card as to (some of the options) what does it
wake up.

Some months ago it was possible to let the machine fall to sleep and when
a packet arrived, it woke up (which was exactly what i wanted) the machine
(which is my home workstation under current, which then slept over the day
but i was able to wake it up to access it from remote).

When this did not function anymore (APM->ACPI && fxp driver changes), i
tried to get docs from Intel on the chip but failed completely.

This feature seems to be documented for the 3Com chips in their docs, but i
found not the time to work on it.

There are AFAIK three types of packets which are able to wake up a LAN card,
any packet, a "magic packet" as defined by AMD, and a user defined packet.
Each method has to be supported and enabled in the driver and having this
functionality in FreeBSD would be really GREAT!

I hoped i perhaps get this functionality with ACPI "for free" but it still
did not materialize ;-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...