Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:34:15 +0200
From:      David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffmpeg port

Le 12/07/2019 à 01:17, Adam Weinberger a écrit :
> We really would love to be able to provide release or LTS branches,
> but it simply comes down to resources. We'd need a few people working
> in paid positions to manage RE environments. The FreeBSD Foundation
> (which underwrites a couple very selective paid positions) has
> prioritized development of new technologies to keep FreeBSD
> competitive over third-party software backporting.

Hello Adam,

I'm not sure how can a LTS branch that you usually never update (except
CVE, security fixes) take more time than quarterly branches that you
need to recreate every 3 months and do some merges.

Basically, a LTS branch stay in marble for a release lifetime and will
only contain sporadic commits for security fixes or vulnerabilities.
That's mostly what Slackware does for a release version. For someone who
wants bleeding edge, they use slackware-current.

Regards,

--
David