Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:02:54 +0100
From:      Markus Doehr <doehrm@aubi.de>
To:        Dan Swartzendruber <druber@kersur.net>
Cc:        Kerberus <kerberus@inetu.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware

Dan Swartzendruber wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Kerberus wrote:
>
> > Hey has anyone tried to get VMware to run under FreeBSD with linux
> > Emulation ...
> >
> > http://www.vmware.com      this would surely rock if it could be
> > accomplished.
>
> I doubt this would work.  From what I understand, vmware uses some driver
> that loads into the kernel to do things.

I tried 2.2.6-STABLE, it worked, but there was not network driver for
for their NIC. Now actually running NT 4.0 SP4, SunOS 5.6 and FreeBSD
under Linux-2.2.3, 512 MB and Matrox 16 MB all at the same time :-)

My machine's now _VERY_ slow, but it's working quite nice.

BTW: I stressed NT with illegal calls to kernel.dll and it didn't
BSODd... I was impressed - a normal Workstation did crash all the
time doin' that test... Rock Solid NT? ;-)

Markus Doehr
IT Admin
AUBI Baubeschlaege GmbH
doehrm@aubi.de