Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:21:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Saxon <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Subject:   RE: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Will Saxon wrote:

>> This kind of issue, but also performance differences, are a
>> disadvantage for both groups.  One of my tasks at MySQL is to do
>> something about that, but I'm spread pretty thin.  If anybody has input
>> on this kind of topic, I'd be interested to hear from you.
>
> Well I would like to see a HOWTO or something about proper configuration
> of MySQL for FreeBSD systems.
>
> I have a quad opteron that I am currently struggling with using 6.0-RC1,
> and I am staring at some of the benchmarks in this thread with disbelief
> as I can only pull about 9K qps where others are getting 18-20K qps with
> lesser hardware.
>
> I may just not be very good at searching through list archives, but it's
> difficult to find up to date information including suggested kernel
> configurations, gotchas for high memory configurations, etc.

Well, I'm happy to do a bit of gathering of information.  So far the main
two recommendations have been:

- Look at time counting -- if TSC is safe for your host, it can
   significantly improve performance.

- Use libthr in FreEBSD 6.x, or linuxthreads in earlier versions.

- Make sure you're using UNIX domain sockets for local traffic.

Any other things to add to the list?  I've created a page here:

     http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/MySQL

Eventually we might want to turn this into a more formal document.

Robert N M Watson