Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:34:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file table is full

Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
 > rabbit kernel log messages:
 > > 246:3175 63.106.140.204:22 in via sis0
 > > file: table is full

There is a limit on the number of files than can be held
open simultaneously.  If that limit is reached, the above
message is logged, and trying to open further files will
fail.

What value do you have for "maxusers" in your kernel?
The default ("0") is to adapt it to the amount of memory,
but maybe you should set it to a higher value.

 > > Limiting open port RST response from 250 to 200 packets per second

This looks like someone was portscanning you, or _maybe_
some kind of DoS attack.  In that case, the kernel auto-
matically decreases the rate at which it responds to such
network packets, so the scan or attack does not have a
big impact on regular system performance.

 > > pmap_collect: collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

This can happen if you have programs that make extensive
use of shared memory.  I'd suggest you try what the message
says and increase the value of PMAP_SHPGPERPROC in your
kernel.  The default is 200, I think.  You could try 400
for a start (don't set it too high, or you might run out
of kernel VM space!).

 > The only thing that I can think that caused this is that I was
 > running the apache benchmark ab with 1000 tests and 50 concurrent
 > accessors..

That sounds like an explanation.

 > Is there a direct way to see if this problem is gone?

If there are no more such messages logged.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver