Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:59:02 +0100
From:      Olaf Seibert <O.Seibert@cs.ru.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS faulted pool problem

Hi there,

I run in production a FreeBSD-8 stable server with a ZFS file system.
It used raidz2, so that ought to be very safe, I thought.
Recently a disk failed, and it was replaced today. However, the file
pool doesn't want to come back.

Below is the status. da4 was bad and was replaced (by a somewhat bigger
disk) in-place. The raidz2 shows to be DEGRADED but somehow the pool as
a whole is FAULTED? And whatever I do, the new disk isn't recognised. I
cut and pasted some commands below. In all cases it complains that pool
"tank" is unavailable...

What to do?

No I/O errors show up in /var/log/messages.

Previously, I had some weird directory where there were CRC errors in
the directory entries, and as long as you didn't try to do anything with
the files, there was no problem. Removing them was impossible though. I
hope it isn't that what is holding my whole pool hostage... I don't mind
losing that one directory.

fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool status
Password:
  pool: tank
 state: FAULTED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  There are insufficient
        replicas for the pool to continue functioning.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 49h3m with 2 errors on Fri Jan 20 15:10:35 2012
config:

        NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank                     FAULTED      0     0     2
          raidz2-0               DEGRADED     0     0     8
            da0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            3758301462980058947  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/da4
            da5                  ONLINE       0     0     0
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool replace tank da4
cannot open 'tank': pool is unavailable
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool replace raidz2-0 da4
cannot open 'raidz2-0': no such pool
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool replace tank da4 da4
cannot open 'tank': pool is unavailable
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool online tank da4
cannot open 'tank': pool is unavailable
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool clear  tank da4
cannot clear errors for da4: I/O error
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool clear  tank
cannot clear errors for tank: I/O error
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool replace tank 3758301462980058947 da4
cannot open 'tank': pool is unavailable
fourquid.1:/lib$ sudo zpool scrub tank
cannot scrub 'tank': pool is currently unavailable

-Olaf.
--
Pipe rene = new PipePicture(); assert(Not rene.GetType().Equals(Pipe));