Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:48:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@www.kukulies.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   increasing dd disk to disk transfer rate

My notebooks' hard disk, a Hitachi Travelstar 80 GB starts to develop read
errors. I have FreeBSD and Win XP on that disk. Although FreeBSD ist still
working , the errors in the Windows partition are causing Windows do ask for a
filesystem check nearly everytime I reboot the computer. One time the
error was in the hibernate.sys file, which impedes powering up quickly after
a hibernate.

Anyway, I decided to buy a second identical hard disk and tried to
block by block copy the old disk to the new one using

dd if=/dev/ad2 of=/dev/ad3 conv=noerror

The process is running now since yesterday evening and it is at 53 MB
at a transfer rate of about 1.1 MB/s.

In case the the result being unusable I would like to find a way to make this
copying faster.

Any disk expert here? My motherboard is an ASUS P4S8X with an on board
promise controller (currently not in use). System disk is
on IDE1 and the two 80GB disks are master/slave on IDE2 bus.

I wonder wether I could get better results (transfer rate) when attaching the
disks to copy to the promise IDE bus.

And another question:

Is there a way to tweak the driver (be it the FreeBSD promise driver
or the normal ata driver) to use more retries on errors so that I
have the chance to copy everything or nearly everything of the already
degrading hard disk?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org