Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:14:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   dhclient man and renew?

Hello list, just an observation and a question about /sbin/dhclient (I
cannot determine which version of the binary I am running).

The observation is that the manpage for `man 8 dhclient` is not a smooth
read; The flags listed at the beginning are not laid out clearly in the
following paragraphs - are there any plans for a re-write of it?  It isn't
exactly clear how to use the -w and -1 flags, and I'm sure (although it may
be "contrary" to RFCs about the man command) an example wouldn't hurt.

My question is the following scenario.  If you shut off your cable modem
(or in general, your Internet connection), say overnight, then later turn
it back on, is there a way to effectively wake up the dhclient?  I would
consider the -1 or -w flags, or killing the running dhclient process or
deleting the file /var/db/dhclient.leases so that it could be obtained
again new.

What actually worked this time was trying to run `arp -a` then *waiting*
patiently, maybe 2 to 3 minutes and running the command again (yeay).

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder