Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 19:36:16 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [LAM]" <listaccount@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ISP DNS problems -- routing/dynamic assigns

Hi everybody

I have recently downloaded and installed 2.2.8-RELEASE.  I am not new to
FreeBSD by any means; however, I obviously don't know everything yet :)
This will likely be a long winded message with some unnecessary
information that might be entertaining to read :)

In a previous install (with the same 'net connection and much of the
same hardware), I WAS somehow able to configure FreeBSD 2.2.6, 2.2.7
(and, for a time, 3.0) in such a way that everything (including outgoing
DNS queries) worked perfectly.

The only hardware that has changed is the replacement of my NIC :)  I
was forced to put in an ISA network card to free up a PCI slot in favour
of a specialized interface card (NOT used/detected/assigned any
resources in FreeBSD).  This new hardware setup is working fine with
Microsoft OSes (uhh.. right.. Sorry, I forgot.  This is a "G" rated
mailing list, and, as such... I will attempt to refrain from further use
of profanity :)..

The network card I have added is an ISA 3Com 3c509b-TPO Etherlink III
10BaseT adapter (as opposed to a slightly older PCI Etherlink XL).
(dmesg reports that the card was found at the IRQ/port locations I
specified in kernel config.  Further, (thanks to an entry in
/etc/rc.conf), default routing is set up through my ISP's gateway and
everything appears to report correctly on bootup, and inetd starts up
fine.

The connection appears to work properly... I am at least able to ping
remote IP addresses.  I suspect services on other ports work as well,
but I haven't explicitly tested this.  I can NOT perform any DNS queries
(read: that's my freakin' problem :).  (Including whois and ping).  ping
reports the generic error to the effect of "whoever.com: host is
unreachable".

In other configurations (i.e. WINDOWS :) all addresses beyond my
hostname are dynamically assigned by my ISP through Microsoft login
(maybe proprietary?).  (i.e.  DNS, gateway, IP).  DOS's IPCONFIG reports
all of these dynamic values.  All I must to in 95 is set my machine name
to the hostname my ISP assigned me.  My ISP uses ONLY TCP/IP, and I do
not need to configure ANYTHING the TCP/IP config there (I do not even
need to enter my host/domain name in DNS, nor enter the (ever-changing)
IP addresses of any DNS servers).

WHAT I'VE DONE:

In rc.conf:  I set hostname to my fully-qualified location  (i.e.
hostname.fully.qualified.domain), as given to me by my ISP.

I also set my routing path to the IP address of my ISPs gateway (in
rc.conf again)

In rc.conf, I also added an adapter alias for (as memory serves) ep0,
with my current IP and  a reasonable netmask.  ep0 is also in the
network adapters line (along with lo0, the loopback device).

Lastly, in host.conf, it is set to look in the hosts file first, then
try bind, then NIS. (Out-of-the-box setup).

In /etc/hosts, after the default 127.0.0.1 localhost entry, I attached
my current IP to my host.domain address (which I have a feeling I should
NOT have to do if DNS is functioning correctly).

In addition, I've tried playing around with many other settings and
values in rc.conf, host.conf and hosts.  inetd.conf didn't seem to offer
much help, nor did any man page I looked up.

SO... Is there a way to configure FreeBSD in such a way as to connect to
my ISP and have virtually EVERYTHING be assigned dynamically?  Or is
FreeBSD more strict, requiring explicit values for these things?  (And,
if so, where DO I specify the location of the remote DNS host(s)?!)

Any help is, of course, muchly appreciated.  I am now going to the bar
to further meditate on this matter.

- Ryan