Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 07:49:03 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        whitehat@home.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bad resolution

whitehat@home.com wrote:

> Ok..I got X up and running, but there's one small thing wrong.  I told
> it to go 640x480 (my win95/linux resolution) but for some reason X only
> goes to the top right of my screen, and everytime it starts my monitor
> identifies it as a "new video", which did not happen with Xfree86 in
> Linux.  I tried the xvidtune program, but it looked a little scary.
> Another reason might be that I defined my monitor vertical sync rate
> 50-120, and my horizontal sync rate as 30-85.  Should I just use a
> number in between those? Like instead of 50-120 should I use 90?
>
> I also suffer failure at the hands of KDE.  I have a suspicion that the
> packages for KDE are scattered among the other 3 CD's...because when I
> begin to install KDE (from the second Cd) it begins to install, but
> stops after it cannot find a package on the CD.  Whats going on?  The
> error is like this "Unable to fetch package kdelib from selected media.
> No package add will be done."
>
> Help

Are you using the gui or the text-based version for setting up Xfree86?
I had many problems using the gui version with a more or less single
mode 640x400 VGA monitor, but had very good results with the text-based
version.

First thing is to have your monitor specs to hand. You must get them
*exactly* right or you could find yourself driving your monitor beyond
its intended range - and paying for the resultant damage. If you know
the vert refresh rate of your monitor at the screen resolution you
intend to use, specify this as a single value if you can. If you use the
text-based interface it will generate a much larger XF86Config file than
via the gui interface. It will create lots of modeline statements in the
MONITOR section, many of which will be redundant - but you can leave
them in because X will reject invalid ones when it starts up. Further
down the file you can check the values for your DEVICE (card) and bring
the whole thing together in the SCREEN section. I do recommend going
through this file by hand if you are having problems. Remember - please
don't make up any numbers, get the right ones first.

And don't worry about xvidtune. Get your display working first and only
use xvidtune if you need to tweak it. xvidtune won't cure a broken
Config file.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by "X only goes to the top right of
the screen". Do you mean that the raster is at the top right (surely
not) or that the raster fills the screen but my image is only at the top
right? Are you using the basic twm? Check the contents of .xinitrc in
your home directory. If it has something like exec startkde then it
configured OK for kde; if it has something like twm & \ xterm -geometry
etc,etc it is configured for simple X-windows and you will need to
change it. If you mean that you get an X-window only at the top right,
it looks like it's configured for twm with the position of your terminal
window being dictated by the geometry settings in .xinitrc.

As to the "Unable to fetch package kdelib..." message, I had this in
3.2-RELEASE, but kde worked just fine. If it still doesn't work then
someone else will need to help you over this hurdle - I don't know the
answer.

Hope you get it working OK.
Ric