Date:      07 Jan 1997 01:26:42 +0100
From:      fenyo@inf.enst.fr (Alex Fenyo (eowyn))
To:        <SimsS@IBM.Net>
Cc:        "Hackers" <Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ed0 boot [p]roms

"Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net> writes:

> Who's the resident expert on boot ROMs for ed devices?  I'm thinking about
> building a diskless / floppy-less machine and have no earthly idea how to
> proceed.

Using an ed ethernet device, I encountered a little problem with
the options offered by the Makefile to build the rom.
The Makefile says :
# NS8390 Options:
#       -DINCLUDE_WD    - Include Western Digital/SMC support
#       -DINCLUDE_NE    - Include NE1000/NE2000 support
#       -DINCLUDE_3COM  - Include 3c503 support
I think it should say that it's not a good idea to use them all at the
same time, to generate a rom with the three devices support.

Suppose you compile with those three options, and you are using a
NE1000/NE2000 card.

Then, the problem is that eth_probe() (in ns8390.c) will first try to
see if there is a WD compatible card; it's not this kind of card, so
it continues, trying to see if there is a 3Com card. Again, it's not
this kind of card, but instead of trying to continue with the next
card type (NE1000/NE2000, the good one), the portion of code included
when using -DINCLUDE_3COM executes a 'return 0', saying no ethernet
card was found, and finally, the boot process fails.

The problem appears only when using a NE1000/NE2000 card
and having made the rom with the -DINCLUDE_3COM option.

Alexandre Fenyo
ps: modifying ns8390.c to do the right things doesn't seem to be
very complicated.